Saturday, November 20, 2021

Tesla - technology for technology's sake?

I bought an electric car in January of this year. I tried a few different ones, as you do, and I chose in the end the Hyundai Kona Electric and have been very happy with it ever since. One of the cars I tried was the Tesla, of course, the sine qua non of electric cars. The main reason I rejected it was that it's just too strange, too different from what I am used to. It kind of felt like driving an iPad. Plus, company leader Elon Musk is a a very strange guy, and I don't quite trust him...

I am typically not an early adopter of new technology, I wait until the kinks are ironed out and then jump on the bandwagon. Teslas are by no means new, but there is so much new technology in them, and there is just so much that go wrong.

Anyway, today I read that hundreds of Tesla drivers were locked out of their cars because the Tesla phone app was down and people were not able to connect to their cars. Now, I can use an app to open my car too, but I don't RELY on it; I have a key/control that I am not too proud to use.

Mr. Musk promised that it will not happen again (although, in this day and age, I am not sure how he can promise that - Tesla must be neat the top of the list of targets for hackers and disrupters), but isn't this just a case of technology for technology's sake?

No comments: