Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Puh-leeze, describing someone as elderly is not a politlical statement

It seems to me there is a lot of hogwash being talked about ageism during this pandemic. As an old geezer myself, I feel able to talk about this without risking accusations of cultural appropriation or something.
An article in the Globe and Mail tells about a family who were "shocked" (shocked, I tell you!) at the way the death of a family member from the coronavirus was slightingly described as the death of an elderly person. Er, the guy was 73. How else are you going to describe him? Sorry, but he was elderly.
The presupposition of these people is that calling someone "elderly" necessarily suggests unimportant or disposable. "So laden, so dismissive", whines a relative (who just happens to be an advocate for the human rights of older people). So, "elder" is a term of respect, but "elderly" is somehow a term of abuse?
No, this is just a bald statement of fact. Most people who have died in this pandemic have been elderly, old, frail, vulnerable, decrepit, call it what you like. Any prejudice or loaded import in the use of such a word is wholly imputed and not implied.
I was surprised that the Globe's André Picard, usually a sensible guy, was willing to lap this stuff up. Personally, I have no patience for these people (the so-called "advocates", I mean, not the old people - I like old people as much as I like younger people).

No comments: