Thursday, April 23, 2020

Canada Goose to stop using coyote fur - wait, they use coyote fur?

Well, call me naïve, but I just read about Canada Goose's plans to stop using coyote fur on their coats, and my immediate reaction was, "What? They use real fur on their coats?" I had just assumed that, in this day and age, any fur used was artificial. I didn't think ANYONE wore real fur nowadays. Just shows how naïve I am!
The ridiculously popular, ridiculously expensive Canadian parkas apparently use wild coyote fur from Western Canada and the US, and real duck and goose down for filling. The company has been a target for animal rights activists for years, and I never even knew.
As of next year, they say they will use "reclaimed" fur for their products, which presumably means they will be going around buying up people's old fur coats, if that is indeed a practical proposition. Some animal rights groups see this as a partial victory - although the fur was still probably cruelly obtained - and some see it as "humane wash" (a rather awkward variant of greenwash, I assume).
I just can't believe I never knew. I wonder how many of the people wearing the coats know.

No comments: