Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Yes, Virginia, it does snow in Toronto every April

The spring ice-storm in Toronto - two days of ice pellets, freezing rain and raging winds - took everyone by surprise. But to call it unprecedented, as many have, is a stretch.
As I tell people every year - just call me Eeyore - when a bit of warm spring-like weather in March gets them all excited, it pretty much always snows at some point in April ("April is the cruellest month...", yada, yada). We just conveniently forget that each year.
And, just to make sure I'm not talking through my hat, I looked it up. Sure enough, weather stats from Environment and Climate Change Canada confirm that every April for at least the last 10 years has seen some snow in Toronto, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot (April 2016 was the snowiest month of the whole winter, but that WAS admittedly unusual).
So, I hate to say "I told you so!", but...

No comments: