Saturday, January 30, 2021

Indian online store has to change its logo

Myntra, one of India's largest and most popular online apparel and accessories stores, is having to change its logo, after successful complaints from women's rights activists.


Looks innocent enough, right? It certainly took me a long time to figure out what might possibly be offensive to anyone. I don't even know if I am right - the website where I found it unfortunately did not spell it out for me - but I assume the problem is that you could see it, if you squint a bit, as the spread legs of a woman (or, I guess, a man)? My first impressions were of flower petals or possibly insect wings, but may that says more about me than about the logo?

But if I have to stop and think about if, can it be that much of a problem? And, even if you can somehow see a woman's legs in the logo, is it necessarily offensive? I can only think that it is offensive to religious fundamentalists more than to women, but that does not play so well in the courts? I don't know, it's all a bit of a mystery to me.

Either way, the company has meekly agreed to change it's logo throughout. Changing its website and app, all its promotional materials and all its packaging, will cost a pretty penny.

No comments: