Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The meaning of life (for atheists)

I recently came across an article called "I Asked Atheists How They Find Meaning In A Purposeless Universe". Now, lest it be thought that I spend my spare time trolling through BuzzFeed (which I actively dislike), I actually accessed it from FlipBoard (which I actively like).
Anyway, I found some of it quite enlightening. As a life-long atheist myself, I know this is something that many atheists (and potential atheists) struggle with, although personally it's not something I've ever given much thought to. I think most people realize, whether they would admit it or not, that atheists are quite capable of being as morally upstanding as religious types, but I know that many people wonder about the "hole" in their worldview that not having a religion might leave.
Again, personally, I've never really felt the need for "meaning" in my life: I see this as just another example of religious people wanting to be treated as something special in a universe where we are quite clearly not special. Plus, I've never really understood how believing in a supernatural entity, or even in some kind of life after death, helps to provide meaning in this life. But then I do understand that logic I not religion's strong suit.
Anyway, the article in question gathers together some thoughts on the matter from a bunch of atheists - not the Richard Dawkinses and Christopher Hitchenses of the world, but a selection of more or less ordinary people, from scientists to journalists to writers to photographers. Here are a few selected quotes from their thoughts, from a variety of different standpoints, and some of them just might make you think:
  • "The pointlessness of life is not a thing to be overcome. It’s something to be celebrated now, because that’s all there is."
  • "Life is a series of experiences, and the journey, rather than the end game, is what I live for."
  • "To assume there is meaning to the universe is to misunderstand our cosmic insignificance. It’s just self-centred and arrogant to think that there might be something that might bestow its secrets upon us if we look hard enough."
  • "A meaningless universe does not mean we live our lives without purpose ... I try to live my life replete with purpose. Be kind; learn and discover as much as you can; share that knowledge; relieve suffering when you can; have tonnes of fun."
  • "There is meaning in the universe. My children mean something to me. My husband means something to me. The roses blooming in my garden mean something to me. So, there is meaning in the universe, but it is localised."
  • "I am not afraid. I celebrate reality. I don’t have to pretend that there will be some magic deus ex machina in the third act of my life which will make it all OK and give me a happy ending. It is enough that I exist, that I am here now, albeit briefly, with all of you."
  • "I do feel that life is ultimately pointless, but I honestly don’t care. I’m just squeezing as much happiness out of it as I can, for me and the people around me."
  • "The true meaning of life is what I make with the people around me – my family, friends, colleagues, and strangers. People tell religious fairy stories to create meaning, but I’d rather face up to what all the evidence suggests is the scientific truth – all we really have is our own humanity."
  • "It means that I am free to do as I want; my choices are truly mine. Furthermore, I feel determined to make the most of the years I have left on this planet, and not squander it. The life I live now is not a dress rehearsal for something greater afterwards; it empowers me to focus on the here and now."
  • "Be nice to the people and things around you – it doesn’t cost anything, and generally makes the world a nicer place to live in. Focus on the little answers."
  • "Create a sense of meaning and purpose by doing something useful with your life."
  • "The notion of an eternal afterlife, particularly one based on a meritocracy, is for me the opposite of purpose and meaning. If I’m going to heaven or hell because of my trivial actions (depending on which religion you choose) on earth, then I don’t really have much choice about what I do, which somewhat minimises my free will and personal autonomy."
  • "We all have different meanings in our lives, things that give us pleasure and purpose. The most meaningful experiences in my life have been relationships with people – friends and family, colleagues and classmates."
  • "We get to derive our meaning, and create our own purpose, and that makes it a much richer experience than playing out pre-written scripts for the amusement of an omniscient almighty."
  • "We all have the same vanishingly short time to enjoy, so it’s incumbent on us all to try to make society work for everyone."
  • "I find meaning in my relationships with friends; I find meaning in music, literature, art, and what they reveal of the minds, lives, and values of the people who created them. I find meaning in the ever-increasing understanding forged by scientists and philosophers. I find meaning in the actions of others, how people choose to interact with the world."
  • "Things don’t happen for a reason. The world exists in the moment for its own sake and we just happen to be able to observe, experience, and reflect on it. What matters is how you live day to day."
  • "Life without God is not a life without meaning. Everything, each and every interaction, is full of meaning. Everything matters."

No comments: